This article courtesy of my outstanding insurance agent, Jon Cordonier, at Amerinsur. Please call him regarding any of your life/auto/home/health insurance needs!
Keeping your home safe for you and your loved ones is a central concern for everyone…Besides just having items stolen,the main worry is the harm that might come to the people in your home if an intruder gets in.
- Consider installing a home alarm system. Many have initial costs as low as $100 plus a monthly monitoring fee.
- Once you have an alarm system, display the stickers on your windows or with signs in the yard. Also, make sure you know how to operate it properly so as not to set off fake alerts.
- Many law enforcement agencies offer a free home security survey that you can take advantage of.
- Make sure all exterior doors are made of solid wood or steel with interior hinges and hidden pins.
- Make sure all entries are lighted and drill a wide-angle viewer into the door to screen visitors.
- Use quality locks and deadbolts for windows and doors and use them…even for brief trips.
- Install keyed window locks to replace the standard thumb locks that come standard on most double-hung windows.